Articles of Incorporation
Articles of Incorpration of RUMLA: summary
(effective as of August 2022)
- General Provisions
The Association is a non-profit organisation based on membership and established by fully capable Russian citizens in the form of an association to represent and protect common, including professional, interests in order to achieve socially useful goals that are provided for by these Articles.
The location of the Association is Saint Petersburg.
The official website of the Association is rumla.org.
- Legal Status of the Association
The Association is not liable for its members obligations, unless otherwise provided by law. The members of the Association are also not liable for Association’s obligations.
- Objects and Goals of the Association
The Association was established in order to coordinate the activities of its members in the field of international maritime law and law of sea, the participation of Russian specialists in the formation of the system of maritime law and related field, in order to develop international relations in the field of maritime law, as well as to develop and promote Russia as favorable for merchant shipping jurisdiction.
The the Association’s object is to achieve the set goals. To achieve the set goals, the Association conducts activities in the following area:
- Consolidation of the members of the Association for the development and improvement of Russian legislation and practice in the field of maritime law;
- Implementation of activities for the creation and processing of databases and information resources on the object of the Association;
- Promotion of information on legal services related to the maritime law field;
- Organisation and conduct of events related to maritime law, including in the form of conferences and forums;
- Providing support to educational programs in the field of maritime law, international private and public law, dispute resolutions, including the conduct of lectures, seminars, courses both for members of the Association and for other persons, the implementation of research and development related to the improvement of maritime law;
- Provision of consulting and information services to members of the Association and other persons in connection with issues of international private and public maritime law;
- Representation and protection of common, including professional, interests of both members of the Association and other persons in connection with maritime law, creation and maintenance of a professional environment for communication, exchange of experience among specialists in the field of maritime law, including foreign ones, raising the prestige of maritime law and merchant shipping;
- Drafting of opinions, including for submission to state bodies and Russian and international courts, on issues of international maritime law and law of sea, related areas of law, for Russian and foreign courts, arbitrations, state authorities, organisations and individuals;
- Development of standards and rules of maritime commerce, formal documents, including contracts, bills of lading, charter parties, standards and rules of shipping and certain aspects of shipping, liability clauses, other documents;
- Participation in programs, films, other audiovisual works consistent with the goals of the Association, production and sale of commemorative and other souvenir products on the related to the Association;
- Membership in international organisations, associations, networks of specialists in the fields of maritime law and merchant shipping, international exchange of experience at forums, membership in the Comité Maritime International.
- The Association Members, Their Rights and Obligations
The Association establishes two categories of membership:
- corporate member is a member of the Association, endowed with all the rights and duties in accordance with the Articles, having the right to vote at Association Members’ General Meetings;
- associate member is a member of the Association, endowed with all the rights and duties in accordance with the Articles, having the right to vote advisory (i.e. a member without the right to vote in decision-making) at Association Members’ General Meetings.
The membership category is determined by the candidate him/herself upon applying for membership in the Association and paying the annual membership fee in the manner established by the section 5 of these Articles and may be changed at the initiative of a member of the Association with the approval of the Association.
The founders of the Association are its corporate members from the moment of its creation.
- Admitting members to the Association and Withdrawing Members from the Association Procedures
The Association is open for new members to join
To join the Association, a candidate for membership must fill in the membership form on the official website of the Association or send an application in the form posted on the official website of the Association addressed to the President of the Association.
- Governing Bodies of the Association and Their Competence
The supreme governing body of the Association is its Members’ General Meeting.
The permanent collegial governing body of the Association is the Board
The sole governing body is the President.
Association Members’ General Meeting
The main function of the Association Members’ General Meeting is to ensure that the Association adheres to the goals for which it was created.
The governing of the Board is formed by the Association Members’ General Meeting the amount of at least 3 and no more than 7 people for 3 years.
The President of the Association
The President is elected by the Association Members’ General Meeting for four years. The President can be re-elected for the same period an unlimited number of times.
- Property of the Association
The Association has the right to carry out the income-generating activities in order to achieve the statutory goals of the Association, namely:
- the provision of consulting,
- legal services,
- research services that meet the goals of creating the Association
- Control and Reporting
The Association maintains accounting and statistical reporting, submits accounting and statistical reporting in the manner established by the Russian legislation.
The Association has the right to elect an Auditor and enstrust the Auditor to audit the financial and economic activities of the Association.
- Procedure for Reorganisation and Liquidation
The reorganisation of the Association is carried out in the manner established by the Russian legislation.
The liquidation of the Association is carried out by the resolution of the Association Members’ General Meeting or by a judgement.
- Cooperation with other organisations in the field of law.
The international cooperation
The Association carries out international cooperation in the field of international maritime law and law of sea, inter alia, by developing standards and rules of maritime commerce, formal documents, including contracts, bills of lading, charter parties, standards and rules of shipping and certain aspects of shipping, liability clauses, other documents.
The Association promotes the exchange of intellectual information between citizens and interested organisations and institutions, including those operating in the field of law and international dispute resolution, in Russia and abroad.
The Association participates in Russian, foreign and international associations created to carry out activities in the field of law, including international maritime law and law of sea, and dispute resolution.
The Association attracts specialists in the field of international law, international public and private maritime law in Russia and abroad to participate in events organized by the Association.
The Association provides assistance to Russian and foreign citizens and legal entities in educational, scientific and journalistic activities, both in educational institutions of different countries, and in the global cultural space of modern media (especially on the Internet), which has no borders.
The Association receives foreign delegations for the purpose of holding business meetings, contacts, exchange of experience, participation in various events, competitions, festivals, etc.
The Association carries out international cooperation on the its activities object, the creation of joint educational, creative, cultural and other works, organises joint institutions, participates in international organisations in accordance with the current Russian legislation.
Cooperation shall be carried out on the basis of agreements concluded by the Association with foreign organisations, or on the basis of individual contracts, agreements, contracts, memorandums.
Foreign legal entities are admitted to the Association as members on the general basis provided for by the articles.
This is a summary of the Articles of Incorporation. It is provided for information purposes only. Consult the full text of the Articles in English here.